Windows Windows XP

Our home desktop is running on Windows XP since we bought it in 2009. It's still okay so far. However, there are software that wouldn't install and also in the internet there are websites that do not support Windows XP anymore. One is the cloud storage Google Drive which was running before but this year it wouldn't run anymore because Google had stopped the support for the OS. We  were advised to upgrade to Windows 7 or higher but our hardware is 32-bit processor which have some issues with a higher Windows version. So what can you advise me?

Buy a new computer online.

You will have to end up building a new one. Or purchasing one. Personally building is a great experience. Follow a video take a few hours and its accomplishing and somewhat hard to mess up, If your interested i can guide you in the right direction to build one. I have decent knowledge in hardware. Or if you wanna go the prebuilt route give me your budget and i can do some searching.

If it is from 2009, it should run Windows 7 just fine. Windows 7 32-bit also works fine with a 32 bit processor. What problems were you having upgrading to Windows 7? Have you tried it yet? I upgraded all my computer to windows 7 using a torrented copy that I burned to DVD. But even buying Windows 7 will be cheaper than buying a whole new computer. Just make sure you get Windows 7 32 bit.

You need to upgrade as soon as possible! Windows XP is no longer being maintained, thus meaning it is no longer supported by a majority of software companies and it's no longer receiving security updates and is vulnerable. You can find decent desktops (Core2Duo) on eBay and Amazon for $150 or less, and some Lenovo T models as well for around the same price that are compatible with 64-bit versions of Windows 10 or other distributions.

Thank you for the replies to my thread, I appreciate all your comments. When we installed the Windows 7 on our desktop, it was okay. The problem is that the old programs wouldn’t run. We clicked on the tweak button for each program but still the same, they wouldn’t run properly. But only some old programs wouldn’t run. And that is a big issue for my husband so he reverted to Windows XP. I also think that we need to get a new desktop.

(01-17-2018, 11:57 AM)Corzhens Wrote: Thank you for the replies to my thread, I appreciate all your comments. When we installed the Windows 7 on our desktop, it was okay. The problem is that the old programs wouldn’t run. We clicked on the tweak button for each program but still the same, they wouldn’t run properly. But only some old programs wouldn’t run. And that is a big issue for my husband so he reverted to Windows XP. I also think that we need to get a new desktop.

If it runs XP it's likely the hardware is old (and likely on the verge of death) so upgrading will not only improve the performance, but also security. If you would like, I'd be more happy to offer alternative tools to the one's that will not run on Windows 7 or above, just post which one's he uses and I'll get to researching! :)

Search Thread: